Do you love to try different cuisine? If you’re nodding, you’ll love sweet potato roll sushi that have roasted sweet potatoes rolled with fluffy sushi rice. When you drizzle a roll with a Sriracha mayo dressing, you’ll find it difficult to forget the heavenly taste.
Now, you know that making the best things require a lot of hard work. But making these potato rolls at home isn’t hard or time-consuming. Admitting that, it’s us who made the task easier for you.
Just go through the article before you get started with the recipe and you’ll know everything you might ask about sweet potato roll sushi. Let’s go then!
- 1 What Is Sweet Potato Roll Sushi? What Makes It Special?
- 2 What Ingredients does Sweet Potato Roll Sushi Have?
- 3 Sweet Potato Roll Sushi Recipe
- 4 How to Customize Sweet Potato Roll Sushi
- 5 How to Store Sweet Potato Sushi Rolls
- 6 Pro Tips to Make The Best Sweet Potato Sushi Rolls
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
- 8 Conclusion
What Is Sweet Potato Roll Sushi? What Makes It Special?
When you roast sweet potato, make a filling with other ingredients and make a roll using sushi rice, it’s called a sweet potato sushi roll. Sushi as a roll has another name- Makizushi. You can use any other vegetable you like to prepare the dish.
After rolling the filling with sushi rice, a nori sheet is used to wrap the rice. You can enjoy the rolls with eel sauce, spicy mayo, or a combination of maple syrup and soy sauce.
So, these are the surface-level talks about sweet potato sushi rolls. If you have curiosity about why this recipe is special, the next section of this piece will quench your thirst.
- Fluffy sushi rice is a key ingredient of this roll. The rice is a very filling veg snack that’s healthy as well.
- Doesn’t matter whether your friends are vegans, vegetarians, or meat-eating persons, everyone will love the recipe.
- You can customize the recipe and use ingredients/sauce according to your preferences.
- In case, you want to make it taste different, adding a pickled vegetable such as avocados or Yamagobo will make you happy.
What Ingredients does Sweet Potato Roll Sushi Have?
Before we go deeper into the topic, let’s see what ingredients you’ll be needing and how to pick the ingredients for the best result.
- Sweet potatoes: For this recipe, chefs prefer to roast sweet potatoes in the oven. It’s because this system gives the potatoes extra flavor. Still, if it’s not your option for some reason, you can simply use your microwave or slice the potatoes.
- Nori sheets: Check the Asian section in any grocery store around you, nori sheets are available there.
- Sushi rice: Using white rice is the best you can do to prepare sushi rice. Some suggestable sushi rice brands are Botan Musenmai Calrose Rice, Lundberg White Rice, and Nishiki Premium Rice.
- Sesame seeds: Black or white sesame seeds? Which one should you use? Well, you can use both of them or one option. We like to combine both of them and use them in our sushi rolls.
Sushi Dipping Sauce Options
- Tobiko sauce: People who love caviar sauce know how mouthwatering Tobiko sauce is. You can also use the sauce for other dishes.
- Eel sauce: It offers a sweet and salty flavor that you’ll love to have with your sushi roll. Eel sauce tastes delicious on vegs, meat, and Japanese Tempura as well.
- Bang Bang sauce: This sauce has a creamy texture with a spicy and sweet taste. Any seafood, meat, or veg goes amazingly with Bang Bang sauce.
- Chili crisp: You’ll feel the crunchiness and crispiness of chili peppers and garlic from chili crisp sauce.
Sweet Potato Roll Sushi Recipe
This time, we won’t make you wait anymore. Let’s just get into the recipe.
Ingredients for Sushi Rice
- White rice (small or medium-grain): 1 cup
- Seasoned rice vinegar: 2 tablespoon
- Water: 1 cup and 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 tablespoon
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Sushi Roll
- Black or white sesame seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Pickled ginger (not mandatory)
- Roasted sweet potatoes (small cuts like match sticks): ¼ cup
- Wasabi (not mandatory)
Sauce Options (Not Mandatory)
- Masago sauce
- Tobiko sauce
- Eel sauce
- Yum Yum sauce
- Spicy sriracha mayo
Here’s how you can make sushi rice:
- First off, rinse the rice well. To do so, use a fine-mesh strainer as it helps remove excess starch from the rice. Rinse until the water runs clear.
- Move the rice into an instant pot and add water and 1 tbsp salt to it. Set the instant pot to a high-pressure setting and cook the rice for 6 minutes.
- Take a separate bowl and move the cooked rice in it. After that, season the rice with rice vinegar.
- Firmly fold the rice without smashing it. It’s just to incorporate rice vinegar.
Below steps are for baking sweet potato:
- Peel the sweet potato in the first place. Then, cut it into 1/2 -inch thick (lengthwise) strips.
- Use olive oil to coat the potato strips. Set your oven’s temperature at 425℉ and 15-25 minutes. Then, bake the potatoes until they are tender.
- Once down, make sure the potatoes get cooled before you get started making sushi rolls.
Here’s the right way to roll sweet potato sushi rolls:
- Before you get started, wrap the bamboo sushi rolling using plastic wrap. It will ensure an easier clean-up afterward.
- Keep one of the nori sheets on top of your bamboo mat.’
- Keep a towel and a bowl filled with water around you. Dip your hands in the water and get rid of excess water by clapping your hands.
- Spread 1 cup of sushi rice across the nori sheet. Make sure you spread it evenly.
- Take a few sesame seeds and sprinkle them over the rice.
- Flip over the nori sheet in a way that the nori faces you whole the rice faces down.
- Spread 2-3 potato strips lengthwise in a strip over the rice. Hence, you have to be careful to keep it around 1 inch from the bottom of the rice paper.
- Lift the edges of your bamboo mat over the filling as well as tuck the roll with your fingers. Try to tuck the bamboo mat tightly, the intention is to expose the nori without any rice.
- Shape the roll sushi by moving the mat.
- This time, you have to cut the sushi roll in half. Use a cutting board to do so. Cut each half into three segments again.
Pro tip: Use a wet towel where you wipe the knife after each slice. It will prevent the knife from getting sticky.
Nutrition Facts (Amount Per Serving)
- Calories: 328
- Carbohydrate: 39 g 13
- Protein: 4.1 g 9%
- Fat: 18 g 28%
- Calcium: 6%
- Vitamin C: 35%
- Dietary fiber: 4.5 g 18%
- Vitamin A: 4%
- Sugar: 8.7 g
- Potassium: 18%
- Sodium: 14%
How to Customize Sweet Potato Roll Sushi
As we said in the beginning, it’s a customizable recipe and your creative ideas are always welcome. Here are some ingredients that you can mix up with the recipe according to your taste and preference.
- Sweet potato: We’ve shown you several ways to prepare sweet potatoes. Here are some more; add salt and pepper and then toss the potatoes in oil before you bake them. Or, you can dip the potatoes in plant milk and in cornstarch repeatedly to get crispier potatoes.
- Cream cheese: Buy a package of vegan cream cheese and add it to the sushi. You can also add the cheese to your sushi with a small chunk of avocado to get a fruity taste.
- Protein: Do you want to reduce the number of carbs in the dish? Then, cut some amount of sweet potato and replace them with some sliced tempeh or tofu. But before adding them, you need to marinate and saute the mat.
- Sauce: The choice of sauce varies. Some prefer a creamy sauce so they go for spicy mayo sauce and others simply eat the rolls with soy sauce.
- More add-in options: There’s nothing wrong with adding in sliced vegetables or anything else that come to your mind while preparing the dish. Sliced vegetables even give your recipe an amazing crunchy texture. You’re free to go for anything like red onion, cucumber, pickled onions, carrot, sprouts, radish, bell pepper, etc.
How to Store Sweet Potato Sushi Rolls
Don’t think that you can’t do anything with leftover sweet potato sushi rolls. You can easily store them in the fridge and enjoy them later. However, you have to follow the right way of storage. Here’s what we’re talking about:
- Tightly wrap the sushi rolls with clear plastic or film wrap.
- Now, take a dry container having a lid and place the wrapped rolls here. Place the container into the fridge.
By following the process, you can expect sweet potato sushi rolls to last s long as 5 days in the fridge. But remember a fact, the crunch of your rolls will be gone after only a few hours. Storing them in the best process won’t make the rolls as fresh as just-made.
Pro Tips to Make The Best Sweet Potato Sushi Rolls
Although you’ve already known a lot about the delicious recipe, these tips and tricks will save you from bigger mess-ups you might create without knowing.
- Avoid adding too much filling to each roll or it may tear or fall apart. Also, make sure you keep the edges free or the rolling process will get harder for you.
- In case, you don’t have sushi vinegar around you, mix salt and sugar ith white vinegar and use it as a substitute.
- There’s a chance that warm rice can change the nori sheet’s texture so make sure you let the rice cool first and then spread the nori on it.
- If you look for an alternative filling too sweet potato strips, you can easily replace them with green onions or avocado strips.
- Don’t you want to use nori sheets for the recipe? Nothing wrong with that. Just follow the rest of the recipe as it’s described and skip the nori sheet part.
You can also read:
- Alaska Roll Sushi
- Red Dragon Roll Sushi
- Tobiko and Tobiko Sushi Recipe
- Las Vegas Roll Sushi Recipe
- Tiger Roll Sushi Recipe
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I wrap sushi without using a sushi mat?
It’s best to use a sushi mat to wrap your sushi because a bamboo mat is the best option to hold the sushi rice tightly. Still, if it’s not an option for you, use parchment paper. Before proceeding, keep the paper a bit larger compared to the nori.
Is it okay to make sweet potato sushi rolls in advance?
Of course, you can. But after the preparation, wrap the rolls and store them in the refrigerator. And, feel free to just uncover and serve the rolls whenever you’re ready to enjoy their delicacy.
Is the sushi roll healthy?
Yes, sweet potato sushi rolls have a low amount of cholesterol and saturated fat. It’s even a better recipe if you compare it with a tempura sweet potato sushi roll. While customizing the recipe, do not use too much oil or any ingredient that might be a cause of your health issue.
And, that’s all about the easiest yet one of the most delicious recipes- sweet potato roll sushi.
I’m sure you loved it throughout the piece and can’t wait long to make it at home. Be very careful from the scratch. Pick and use the ingredients carefully, and follow the instructions properly, nothing else you won’t need to get the best version of the recipe.