Spicy Kani Roll is becoming more popular every day. It uses imitation crab which is cooked. For this, people who don’t eat sushi with raw fish are getting into the safer option; imitation crab.
Making spicy crab roll at home is easier than you think. It doesn’t take much time as well.
You can even customize it using spicy Kani salad where cucumber and other vegs are welcome. Even it’s very easy to make a crunchy crab roll by modifying this recipe a bit. It just requires adding some tempura crunch on top.
However, this is not everything about spicy Kani rolls. To get a clear idea, keep reading the piece.
What Is Spicy Kani Roll?
Spicy Kani roll is any kind of sushi that you use to roll a crab. However, it’s not only the sushi and crab but many kinds of spices and sauces are also used in the recipe and finally, the sushi rice gets wrapped in seaweed.
Kani sushi is often called ‘Kani Maki’. Kani sushi is also used in making sushi crab roll, Spicy Kani Roll’s filling can be made of either real cooked crab or imitation crab. When you combine spicy mayo sauce with the crab, you’ll get a spicy, a bit sweet, and spicy taste.
Spicy Kani Roll Recipe
Now, we’ll get into the recipe without wasting any words. Stick around!
Ingredients and Substitutes
- Sushi Rice: To get the best result, use high-quality Japanese sushi rice (short-grain).
- Kani crab meat: It’s also known as Imitation crab/Kanimaka/crab sticks/surimi seafood/kamaboko. Use this crab meat for the best taste or you can use canned crab meat as a substitute.
- Nori sheets: Give a tour of the Asian section of any grocery store around you and try to pick fresh nori sheets. It should be super crispy and it should break easily when you fold the sheet.
- Mayonnaise: Try to use real mayo rather than using any mayo alternative. It will give you the desired creaminess of your spicy crab roll sushi. Yet if you prefer a healthier option, go for plain Greek yogurt.
- Sesame seeds: Use black and white sesame seeds for the recipe. And, the best flavors show up after toasting the seeds in a frying pan for 5 minutes.
- Sushi vinegar: This ingredient is widely used to season sushi rice. If using sushi vinegar isn’t your option, make a substitute by mixing sugar, salt, and rice vinegar.
- Siracha sauce: You’ll find siracha sauce in most grocery stores. Or, you can simply make it at home by mixing garlic, vinegar, chili peppers, and salt. If you don’t like strong flavors, replace this hot sauce with chili sauce.
- Bamboo mat: Use a bamboo mat or simply parchment paper to roll your sushi.
Prepare the rice
Take the rice into a bowl and rinse it until the water runs clear. Now, use an electric rice cooker or simply make the rice using a stovetop.
After you cook the rice, remove it from the heat source. Gently fluff the rice using a fork. Then, move the rice into a bowl and use rice vinegar for seasoning your rice. Fluff again using the fork and let the rice get cooled.
Make Siracha mayo- It’s time to make the spicy mayo sauce. Take a small bowl and add mayonnaise and Siracha sauce to it. Mix them well and frequently taste the flavor. In case, you prefer a spicier flavor, feel free to add more sriracha.
Make crab salad- Shred the imitation (or canned) crab meat using two forks or simply two of your hands. After that, add Siracha mayo to the mixture and mix them again.
Make spicy Kani roll- Now, we’re going to make the spicy crab roll. This part requires a few steps to follow. Let’s go through them one by one.
- Use kitchen scissors for cutting your nori sheet into two halves. Place the bamboo mat facing down and keep half of the nori sheet on top of the mat’s shiny side.
- Spread ¾ cup of seasoned rice over the nori sheet evenly. Give a gentle hand pressure on the rice. You can dip the rice in Tezu water so the rice doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Take some sesame seeds and sprinkle them on top of the rice. After that, flip the nori sheet so your rice side faces down. And, it’s time to make some space on the middle of the nori sheet and add the spicy crab salad to it.
- Now, you’ll want to lift the edges up and over the filling. To do so, hold the underneath of the bamboo mat and start lifting the edges.
- When you press the rice and filling, start rolling the bamboo mat at the same time. Roll it away from you and continue rolling it until the ends meet.
- Now, cut the spicy Kani roll into 8 pieces.
- We’re about to end, add some more spicy mayo sauce on top of the roll and that’s it!
Enjoy the delicacy of spicy Kani roll with your favorite side dish. Wait, what can you serve with the spicy crab roll? Let’s check the listing below, all the options go amazingly with the roll you just made.
- Pickled ginger
- Kani salad
- Calories: 39
- Carbohydrate: 7 g 3%
- Protein: 1 g 2%
- Fat: 1 g 2%
- Dietary fiber: 1 g 4%
- Iron: 1 %
- Calcium: 7%
- Vitamin C: 1%
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 38 mg
- Potassium: 9 mg
- Cholesterol: 1 mg
Bonus Tips to Make the Best Spicy Kani Roll at Home
- To avoid mushy rice, be careful not to add too much water during cooking the rice.
- Overcooked rice is too hard to use for sushi. So, be careful to avoid overcooking here.
- If you use a rice cooker to cook the rice, chances are the outside of your rice gets hard and crispy. If this is your situation, fluff your rice using a fork to add moisture back into the crispy rice.
- Be very gentle on the sushi when you roll it. When you’re done, put the mat over the roll and firmly squeeze it once again. This will make sure that your sushi roll doesn’t fall apart.
- Sriracha sauce is responsible for making the spicy Kani roll hot and spicy. If you don’t prefer a super spicy version use only mayo to make it non-spicy.
- If you use canned crab meat, the crab filling can be too wet. To avoid such a situation, squeeze the water out of the meat before you get started.
- Another problem you might face is the struggle with the nori sheet. It often doesn’t stick to itself when you roll your sushi. You can compel the nori sheet to stick to itself by smashing a few grains of rice where the nori needs it.
- To deal with the deformed and misaligned slices of your roll, you can simply place the bamboo mat over the entire roll and give consistent pressure gently. It helps reshape the areas.
You can also read following similar contents
Thanks if you’re still there with me. You enjoyed reading the article, didn’t you? We tried to cover everything related to spicy Kani roll so you don’t have to sweat in the kitchen and overthink about what to do with which ingredient. Enjoy the delicious roll as your snacks this afternoon, you won’t regret it!