Las Vegas Roll Sushi is one of the tastiest yet simplest sushi rolls out there.
It’s crispy from the outside and spicy from the inside. So, if you’d like to make this delicious dish at your home, stick to the writing because we’ll share the best Las Vegas roll sushi recipe here.
If you follow the right directions, chances are you’ll get an amazing result. And, there is some relevant information in this article so you don’t leave the page with a bit of confusion regarding the topic.
Let’s see what’s there for you!
What Exactly Is Las Vegas Roll?
Las Vegas roll Sushi is a crispy dish prepared with salmon (cooked or raw). You can make the roll with deeply fried salmon in the oil or you can simply use smoked salmon instead. Chefs make this item more delicious with fresh ingredients like jalapeno, cucumber, and avocado.
The roll is lightly fried in tempura batter which gives it crazy crispiness, also if you have ever tried Tempura Cheesecake which also delicious as like roll sushi. If you ask yourself ‘what is las vegas roll sushi made of?’, here are the answers: Here are some tips before you pick the ingredients:
- Avocado: First of all, give the avocado a gentle squeeze using your hand because you need to grab a ripe avocado. The avocado should be slightly squishy and with dark-colored skin. In case you find the avocado too hard, then it’s not ripe.
- Sushi Rice: Steam high-quality short-grain rice and season it using sushi vinegar.
- Cucumber: Using cucumber for las vegas roll sushi is optional. If you’re planning to use cucumbers, try to go for Japanese cucumbers that are slender and long. It’s because American species come with thick skin and an excessive number of seeds inside.
- Jalapenos: To get the best version of las vegas roll, make sure you pick a good jalapeno. Go for the ones that are glossy and deep green in color. Look closely at the shoulders of the peppers and see if there are small cracks in the skin. At this stage, they are ready to cook.
- Nori sheets: Buy nori sheets from the Asian food section of any supermarket.
- Salmon: Are you okay with eating raw fish? If you are not, use deep-fried, air-fried, or smoked salmon.
- Tempura Batter: Break one egg and whisk it to start making tempura batter. Then, add cornstarch, flour, baking powder, and curry powder to it. Pour ice water into the mixture and then mix all the ingredients. You’ll end up having a bit of liquid batter.
Las Vegas Roll Sushi Recipe
Once you know how to pick the ingredients, let’s know how much you need them and get cooking. Remember Las Vegas roll sushi is the like Red Dragon Roll Sushi , more delicious and adding extra taste of it. Let’s see the ingredients for cooking.
- Seasoned sushi rice: 1-1 ½ cup
- Jalapeno pepper: 1
- Avocado: ¼ Hass
- Nori sheets: 2
- Fresh salmon: 4 ounce
- Tempura batter and oil: 1 cup
- Kewpie mayo: 2 tablespoon
Directions for Cooking Sushi Rice
- First off, get rid of all dirt and starch from the rice. To do so, rinse the rice and soak it in a pot for 1 hour.
- After that, rinse the rice again and move it to a colander. Now, wait for 30 minutes to let it rest.
- To cook the rice, you can use a rice cooker or simply put a pot over low heat. Let the rice cook until it’s tender. The water should be absorbed properly which will take around 12 minutes if you’re cooking on the stovetop.
- Move the rice to a separate bowl when it’s well-cooked.
- Take another bowl and mix sugar, sesame oil, and sugar in it. Now, pour these ingredients over the cooked rice. You can sprinkle some sesame seeds on it.
- Season the rice properly, stir it and let all the ingredients touch the rice.
Directions for Making Tempura Batter
- Break one egg and whisk it in a bowl. Add cornstarch, flour, curry powder, and baking powder to the egg and whisk well.
- Pour ice water into the mixture while stirring the ingredients. Keep doing so and stop when you get a little bit of liquid mixture.
Directions for Tempura Batter Jalapenos
- First thing first, wash and clean jalapeno pepper well and cut it into halves (lengthwise). While washing the jalapeno, keep it under running water as it helps to avoid wetness. Now, get rid of the seeds and slice your jalapeno into long strips.
- Put a skillet over a heat source and add oil to it.
- Use the tempura batter to soak the jalapenos. Every slice should be well-covered with the batter.
- Now, fry the jalapenos until they are light brown in color. This may need around 3 minutes.
- Let the jalapenos cool.
Directions for Las Vegas Rolls
- Grab an avocado and cut it into thin and long strips. Slice a jalapeno as well.
- Take the salmon and cut it into long sticks.
- Spread the nori sheets over the bamboo mat. For each roll, ⅔ of a nori sheet and ¾ cup of sushi rice would be perfect.
- Now, get back to the cooked sushi rice and spread it over the nori surface.
- This time, you need to arrange the fillings: salmon, kewpie mayo tempura jalapeno, and avocado. Using a little amount of mayo is okay.
- Use the bamboo mat for closing the salmon skin roll.
- Use tempura batter for covering the rolls and use hot oil to deep fry them. Frying for 2-3 minutes may give you desired crispiness.
- Spread a parchment paper and place the rolls on it. It’ll help downturn excess oil.
- Finally, cut the rolls into slices and enjoy!
Las Vegas Roll Sushi Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 665
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fat: 54g
- Protein: 18g
- Sodium: 376mg
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Potassium: 705mg
- Dietary fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
Is Las Vegas Roll Sushi Healthy?
Yes, this is one of the healthy sushi rolls out there. I mean, see the ingredients! There are avocado, cucumber, jalapeno, rice, salmon, and so many healthy ingredients used in the recipe that are packed with nutrition as well.
But one thing that is a bit unhealthy about the recipe is the deep-fried jalapenos.
These jalapenos may have high calories due to the tempura batter and the frying oil. Therefore, if you’d like to make the healthiest version of las vegas roll, avoid soaking the jalapeno in tempura batter, use fresh jalapenos instead.
About frying the jalapenos, consider air-frying them if you want to avoid deep-frying. You can also try Tiger Roll Sushi to make your taste better.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: Is Las Vegas roll cooked?
Answer: Yes, it’s well-cooked and rich in flavor. When you heat the outside, it combines with the salmon and savory cream cheese inside which creates a delicious, well-balanced taste.
Question: What is in a Las Vegas roll?
Answer: Avocado, cucumber, sushi rice, smoked salmon, jalapeno, and some additional ingredients are used to make a Las Vegas sushi roll.
Question: Is a Las Vegas roll spicy?
Answer: Yes, it is super spicy because of the spicy mayo sauce and sliced jalapeno peppers.
Question: Are there similar rolls to a Las Vegas roll?
Answer: Las Vegas rolls are quite an expensive option among other rolls at sushi restaurants. Other rolls that are close to a Las Vegas roll are rainbow roll, shaggy dog roll, dragon, roll, etc.
Question: What fish is used in a Las Vegas roll?
Answer: Salmon. It’s the key ingredient of this roll.