If you are a fan of pies, you must try Lana Shabazz Bean Pie Recipe, but you hate the unhealthy ingredients in the crust, bean pies should be your pick. And, guess what? This is not the only reason for adding a bean pie to your snacks, there are many more.
Today, we’ll share a delicious, healthy bean pie recipe by Lana Shabazz. Also, we’ll share some interesting facts about bean pies that you might not know yet. You’ll get to know about the right way to store them as well.
So, are you ready for the great Lana Shabazz bean pie recipe? We hope that you are!
- 1 An Overview of Lana Shabazz Bean Pie
- 2 How Long Should You Cook Navy Beans?
- 3 Lana Shabazz Bean Pie Recipe
- 4 Nutrition Facts
- 5 How to Store A Bean Pie
- 6 What Does a Bean Pie Taste Like?
- 7 Why Should You Eat Bean Pies?
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
An Overview of Lana Shabazz Bean Pie
Let’s start with one of the basic questions- what exactly is a bean pie? When you make a pie with mashed or pureed beans, it’s called a bean pie.
Its making process is quite the same as a sweet potato or pumpkin pie or a custard pie. You can eat plain pie or top with ice whipped cream or ice cream to make it more delicious. Also, bean pies offer different types of flavors.
Laba Shabazz was the creator of such a fantastic recipe made with navy beans. But do you know about the key reason behind such a name ‘navy beans’?
Navy beans have been the traditional and key ingredients for bean pies but you can consider other varieties too. These beans were a staple to the US Navy since the mid-1800s. This is why they’re called navy beans.
If you follow the right instructions to make the pie, it’ll be a great source of vitamins and minerals.
For other ingredients (e.g milk, sugar, eggs, spices) the pies come without the distinctly beany flavor. You can change the bean puree’s texture to get a variety of the pie textures. Some people prefer very smooth pies whereas others prefer a slightly chunky texture.
This is a fundamental part of the recipe. You’ll see the term ‘cooked navy beans’ to use in the recipe but how should you cook the beans? Here’s the right way:
- First thing first, use fresh water to rinse the beans.
- Now, put the beans in a saucepan.
- Fill an inch of the saucepan to cover the beans.
- Bring them to a boil.
- The boiling part should take a couple of minutes.
- After that, remove the beans from the heat source and soak them for 1 hour.
- Now, use a strainer to drain the beans.
- Cook the beans for 60 minutes.
Lana Shabazz Bean Pie Recipe
This time, you’ll get to know how to make Lana Shabazz Bean Pie at home. Follow the instructions properly to avoid any mess. It’s going to make 12-24 servings.
Ingredients for Lana Shabazz Bean Pie
- Cooked navy beans (mashed): 3 cups
- Sugar: 3 cups
- Cornstarch: 2 tablespoon
- Whole wheat flour: ½ cup
- Well-beaten eggs: 5
- Cinamon: 2 tablespoon
- Corn oil: ¼ cup
- Evaporated milk: 2 cups
- Unsalted butter: ¼ lb
- Lemon extract: 1 tablespoon
- Ice water: 3 tablespoon
- Salt: ½ tablespoon
- Egg: 1
Directions for The Filling
- Take the sugar and the butter in a bowl first. Then, cream the ingredients using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer.
- Keep beating the ingredients. Stop awhile to add the cornstarch and cinnamon to the cream and blend well.
- Lower the speed for a while and add the eggs. Beat again.
- Take a separate bowl and add the beans to it. You can puree or mash the beans using one cup of milk. Beat them on a low speed for a while.
- Now, add the rest of the mild and the lemon extract to the mixture.
- Keep beating them until well incorporated.
Directions for The Crust
- Set the temperature to your oven at 450℉ to preheat it.
- Mix the flour and salt using a very good food processor.
- To make the flour evenly distributed, add oil to it. You may notice the flour becoming a bit dark, which is okay.
- Pour the water and the beaten eggs into the mixture.
- Mix the ingredients until you get a ball of dough.
- Now, roll the dough after dividing them into three.
- Grease three pie pans (8-inch pie pans) with oil and line them with the dough.
- Then, divide the filling in the dough and crimp the dough around the edges of the pans.
- Bake them for 10 minutes.
- Now, lower the temperature of your oven to 325℉ and bake the dough again for 1 hour.
- Once the fillings are set and the edges of the crust are browned, move the pies to a wire rack and let them cool. It should take around 30 minutes.
You can also try: Red Dragon Roll Sushi Recipe with your family.
- Calories: 289.6
- Fat: 20% (12.5g)
- Carbohydrate: 14% (40.4g)
- Protein: 10% (4.6g)
- Cholesterol: 17% (50.2mg)
- Vitamin A: 9%
- Sodium: 8% (179.3mg)
- Vitamin C: 0.8%
- Potassium: 5% (142.7mg)
- Calcium: 6.3%
- Sugar: 28.5g
- Dietary fiber: 9% (2.1g)
- Iron: 6.3%
How to Store A Bean Pie
In case you make a large batch of bean pie, you may ask whether you can freeze it. Well, yes, you can store a bean pie in the freezer and it will be okay for up to 6 months. But about the taste, it may not keep the same taste for such a long time, sorry. Have you tried Bill Miller Green Bean Recipe For Vegetarians , It’s really awesome and tasty for vegetarian lovers.
Once you remove it from the freezer, you have to thaw it instead of just eating right away.
However, if you want to put it in the refrigerator, make sure you consume it in a few days. And, before putting the pie in the fridge, do not leave it out for more than two hours. Try not to make the pie more than 24 hours in advance. Otherwise, you may end up having a soggy crust.
What Does a Bean Pie Taste Like?
When it’s about a pie with a bean filling, it tastes sweet and quite the same as a custard-like or a pumpkin-like pie.
In most cases, bean pies are flavored with spices like sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Feel free to add banana, sweet potato, blueberry, or other fruits if you prefer them. And, you can serve your bean pie with hot sauce, salsa, or sour cream to make it an intriguing potluck item.
Why Should You Eat Bean Pies?
Surely bean pies are one of the tastiest pies out there but what health benefits do they offer? Let’s check out!
High in Protein
You may already know that all types of beans out there are filled with high-quality protein. Health-conscious people love the way protein builds their muscle tissues. When you make a bean pie with additional nutrient-packed ingredients like eggs and milk, tell me a reason not to love them!
Navy beans are packed with essential amino acids that our body needs to regenerate and repair muscle tissues.
Packed with Fiber
People who suffer from gastrointestinal issues like constipation get help from eating bean pies. Fiber improves our bowel movement by adding bulk to stool and lowers cholesterol levels in our blood as well.
Since fiber slows down digestion, it promotes weight loss too. After you have a slice of bean pie, you’ll feel fuller for quite a long time.
A Great Source of Vitamins and Minerals
Beans are a great source of magnesium, folate, manganese, and other nutrients. Manganese helps regulate our muscle functions as well as accelerate the metabolic rate.
About folate, it aids in regenerating red blood cells. It ensures the proper development of the developing fetus and promotes cell growth. And, manganese boosts our immunity system by helping in energy production.
Low in Sugar
People with borderline diabetes have a supportive friend like navy beans. If such patients consume a reasonable portion of bean pies, their glucose level in the blood will lower.
Also, these beans are low in glycemic index. If you consume foods that come with a lower level of natural sugar, it’ll reduce your risk of having obesity, diabetes, and heart diseases. Bean pies also balance your sugar cravings and prolong the feeling of satiety which helps you not to overeat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: How long does bean pie last?
Answer: A baked pie lasts up to 5 days in the refrigerator. If you want to freeze them, they’ll last for 3 months or more.
Question: Are bean pies healthy?
Answer: Yes, bean pies have a lot of healthy components. They are totally safe to eat and packed with nutrients like protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Question: How long do bean pies last without refrigeration?
Answer: Not more than two hours. You should consume them without a delay or store them in the right way.
Question: How can I avoid gas with beans?
Answer: Rinse them well and soak them for a few minutes. Cook the beans to make them soft. And, make sure you chew each bite well and eat slowly for happy digestion.
Question: Will beans make me fat?
Answer: No. Beans are low in sugar and calories. They are packed in fat-burning nutrients, instead. Beans have high dietary content and they offer a lot of health benefits but do not make you fat.