Chicken is the first choice of people who love protein-rich foods. Adding fruits and herbs to a chicken salad always adds up extra delicacy and nutritional values to the dish.
If you never tried the grape chicken salad recipe, you missed something big.
But see now you’re here so you don’t want to miss one of the easiest and tastiest salads out there. Let us help you do it in the right way.
We’ll share A-Z about grape chicken salad so you don’t leave the page with any question or confusion in your mind. Sounds reliable? Let us prove our words!
- 1 An Overview of Grape Chicken Salad
- 2 Grape Chicken Salad Recipe
- 3 How to Serve Grape Chicken Salad
- 4 How Should You Plan for The Amount of Grape Chicken Salad to Make Per Person?
- 5 What If You Don’t Prefer Mayo In Chicken Salad?
- 6 How Long Does Grape Chicken Salad Last?
- 7 How to Fix Grape Chicken Salad If It Has Too Much Dill?
- 8 Additional Tips to Make Grape Chicken Salad
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
An Overview of Grape Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is a customizable dish. You have the freedom to decorate the dish according to your preference. People use grapes, pecans, walnuts, cranberries, and other ingredients to make a delicious bowl of chicken salad.
Grapes add sweetness to the dish and adding red grapes add a bit of color for the decoration. Overall, it makes a great salad for a light supper or for lunch. You can keep it in the refrigerator for quick lunches.
Other ingredients like mayonnaise, parsley, and walnuts add different kinds of taste to it. People who want to consume a protein-rich salad, this one is always a hit. So, feel free to serve it to large gatherings at picnics or potlucks.
Grape Chicken Salad Recipe
Look no further! This Grape Chicken Salad Recipe is perfect for any occasion. It’s easy to make and can be customized to your liking. Plus, it’s loaded with antioxidants and Vitamin C from the grapes. Give it a try today!
- Cooked chicken (shredded): 2 cups
- Red grapes (halved or quartered): ½ cup
- Diced onion: ¼ cup
- Mayonnaise: ⅔ cup
- Diced celery: ½ cup
- Chopped parsley: 2 tablespoons
- Kosher salt: ½ teaspoon
- Black pepper: ¼ teaspoon
- Chopped walnuts: ¼ cup
You can use either chopped or shredded chicken, it depends on the texture of your preference. Use a hand mixture or a stand mixer to shred the chicken. Or, even two forks can do the shredding job perfectly.
About mayonnaise, you can take Greek yogurt as an alternative to mayo. You can even use a little bit of both ingredients as Greek yogurt helps lighten up your dish.
- Take a large bowl first. Then take chopped parsley, salt, black pepper, and mayonnaise and mix them in the bowl.
- Add the chicken now. Add grapes, walnuts, celery, red onion to the chicken. Now, stir the ingredients to make a good combination.
- That’s all about the salad. You can serve it on sandwiches along with toasted bread.
You can customize the recipe according to your preference. People love chicken salad with grapes and almonds too. So, feel free to add fruits like dried cranberries or raisins or anything you prefer. It’s even perfectly enjoyable simply on top of a green salad or on lettuce wraps.
- Calories: 439 kcal
- Protein: 19 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fat: 37 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sodium: 592 mg
- Potassium: 296 mg
- Cholesterol: 68 mg
- Iron: 1 mg
- Sugar: 4 g
- Calcium: 31 mg
- Vitamin A: 293 IU
- Vitamin C: 4 mg
How to Serve Grape Chicken Salad
If you’re taking this dish as a well-rounded meal, serve the salad with one or two other dishes. Here are some you can try:
- Roasted sweet potatoes: The sweetness and warmth of sweet potatoes will be a delicious side choice for eating with chicken salad sandwiches.
- Berry cheesecake salad: This can be an amazing dessert option. Grape chicken salad will make a great pair with berry cheesecake salad.
- Cheesy mashed potatoes casserole: A cheesy and warm side that goes perfectly with grape chicken salad is cheesy mashed potatoes casserole. Try it out if you love the pair of potato and chicken.
- Broccoli apple salad: People who are concerned about their health first should try this. You’ll enjoy a bowl of different kinds of salads that are as healthy as possible.
If you want to make the dish as light as possible, there are other options:
- Slice fresh tomatoes and take a croissant with leaf lettuce.
- If you want to enjoy the salad as a scoop, take a bed of lettuce and serve them with wheat Keebler crackers.
- Take sliced tomatoes and pair the salad with leaf lettuce and wheat berry bread.
You can make several substitutions according to your preference as well. Using cilantro or dill as an alternative to parsley could be a good choice. Using different seeds or nuts will add a supreme delicacy here.
How Should You Plan for The Amount of Grape Chicken Salad to Make Per Person?
This recipe can be a fantastic option for a party or other gathering. The general rule for serving chicken salad is one cup per person. It’s enough to provide someone with an ample scoop of salad or a very filled sandwich.
So, if you serve the main dish, keep 8 ounces per person. If you use sandwiches and wraps, then 4-6 ounces per person will be enough. About lettuce cups, keeping 4-6 ounces per person is perfect.
What If You Don’t Prefer Mayo In Chicken Salad?
There are alternatives to mayo. As we said before, you can try Greek yogurt as a substitute or use both ingredients for a unique taste. Other than that, sour cream will be another alternative.
You can pick a low-fat or nonfat sour cream as an alternative to mayo. Or, if you want a tangier side, mix sour cream with Greek yogurt and enjoy. This can be a bit tart but if you add honey to the salad then it can balance the tartness. Yes, chicken salad with grapes and honey is one of the most-loved options.
If you use sour cream but feel that the cream is too thick, use one tablespoon of milk to thin it out.
How Long Does Grape Chicken Salad Last?
In case you’re planning to leave the salad out at room temperature, try not to leave it for more than two hours. Since it has chicken and mayonnaise, it won’t last long at room temperature.
But if you want to store it in the refrigerator, it will be okay for as long as 3 days. Just make sure you place it in an airtight container. Even some people love to make this salad the day before serving it. They just refrigerate it overnight and enjoy the delicacy the other day.
And, if you leave it out at a potluck or picnic, the case is a bit different. You have to refrigerate the salad as soon as possible if it’s a summer event. And, if the temperature is as warm as above 90 degrees, grape chicken salad may not last more than ONE hour.
How to Fix Grape Chicken Salad If It Has Too Much Dill?
Overwhelmed flavor of dill can be annoying. Here are some ways that help you salvage the grape chicken salad recipe.
- Wait for some time. Dill loses its strength gradually. So, if you refrigerate your salad overnight, it will help to tone down the flavor of the dill so it can be palatable for you.
- Tone down the flavor using more of the other ingredients.
- Consider using vinegar as it can balance the flavor of dill. Simply take 1 tablespoon of vinegar and stir it in the salad.
Additional Tips to Make Grape Chicken Salad
Although we shared a super easy recipe with you, these few tips will make it sure that you get a perfect taste of the dish.
- You can make the recipe within only 10 minutes but try to refrigerate it for a minimum of one hour before serving it. It ensures that the flavors will come together.
- About freezing the salad, we already stated that we don’t recommend freezing the salad as it contains mayonnaise. But you can freeze cooked chicken to store for a while. Then just thaw it before you want to make the salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it okay to freeze chicken salad?
Since it has dairy in it, freezing chicken salad isn’t a recommendation. When you thaw the salad, it can be watery and you will miss the real taste of it.
What if I make grape chicken salad using canned chicken?
There’s nothing wrong with it, you can use canned chicken to make this salad.
What can happen if I eat expired chicken salad?
Expired chicken salad can host different microorganisms like molds, yeasts, and bacteria. Food poisoning is kind of a must if you consume expired chicken salad.
Can I warm up chicken salad?
Yes, you can use your microwave oven to make the salad a little warm and enjoy it with sandwiches.