Sandwich lovers may know how delicious a chuckwagon sandwich can be. But its origin, where the name came from, and how to make it in the best way-these are quite a mystery to most people.
In case you’re one of them, you’ve landed on the right page that contains every necessary information related to the chuckwagon sandwich. We also have recipe variations and small tips & tricks to make your cooking easier and more enjoyable with best microwaves.
Are you ready to know more about chuckwagon sandwiches? I know you’re saying yes!
What Is A Chuckwagon Sandwich?
The story of Chuckwagon began with Charles Goodnight in1866. The term “chuck” is slang for food and “wagon” is something that was used to store household items like meat and vegetables.
If you’ve heard about the “father of the Texas Panhandle”, well, that’s Charles Goodnight. Initially, he used easy-to-preserve items like salted meats, beans, and sourdough biscuits to make the dish. At that time, fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, and meat were unavailable.
However, the recipe went through several changes over time. Chefs love to add mayonnaise, steak, tomato, etc to spruce up the taste.
You must have heard about the Deli Express chuckwagon, right? It’s been spreading the delicacy since 1961. If you still look for the top-selling sandwich of Deli Express, it’s chuckwagon! Besides you can also try one of my favorite Texas Roadhouse Portobello Mushroom Chicken Recipe .
Chuckwagon Sandwich Recipe
You’ve known a lot about chuckwagon by now. It won’t be fair if you make you wait anymore. Here’s the recipe we promised to share with you.
Ingredients for Marinade Batter
- Eggs: 2
- Buttermilk: 2 cups
- Garlic powder: 2 teaspoons
- Whole milk: ¼ cup
- Plain flour: 1 cup
- Chili powder: 2 teaspoons
- Salt: 2 teaspoons
Ingredients for The Sandwich
- Cube steak: 2 slices
- Frying oil: 2-3 cups
- Sesame bread: 1 loaf
- Tomato (sliced): 1
- Mayonnaise: 2 tablespoons
- Shredded lettuce: 1 cup
- Start with marinating the slices of steak. To do so, use buttermilk. The steak slices should be in the buttermilk for around 1 hour (it’s best if you can wait overnight).
- Take 2 eggs and mix them with ¼ cup of milk. Add salt, chili powder, and garlic powder to the mixture.
- Take a separate bowl and place the flour in it.
- When the steaks are done with the marinade process, dip them in plain flour. After that, dip them again in the egg wash.
- Now, heat the oil at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place the steaks in it.
- It’s time to fry the steaks in the oil. Fry them for 5 minutes and turn them to fry the opposite sides. Wait another 5 minutes here.
- Once the steaks are fried, place them on a plate. It’s better if you line the plate using a kitchen roll before serving the steaks. It helps to absorb the excess oil and keep you healthy.
- And, now, you need to get the bread slices ready. Toast them and add mayonnaise once they’re toasted. Then, add sliced tomatoes and shredded lettuce. Done? The recipe ends when you add the cooked steak to the bread.
This is all. Now, enjoy your sandwich with your friends and family!
- Calories: 653 kcal
- Fat: 18 g
- Protein: 61.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 58.4 g
- Sodium: 754 mg
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 288 mg
What to Serve With a Chuckwagon Sandwich?
Feel free to serve chuckwagon sandwiches as a stand-alone meal. If you still want to add anything else, here’s what you can think about:
- Potato salad
- Baked beans
- Potato wedges
- Baked potato
- Green salad
- Onion rings
What Toppings Can I Add to A Chuckwagon Sandwich?
We used tomato, mayonnaise, and lettuce to top our chuckwagon sandwich. If you want variation, try these:
- Crispy bacon
- Sliced pickles
- Sliced red onion
Can You Cook Frozen Chuckwagon Patties?
Yes, you can. To thaw frozen patties, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and collect a baking sheet. You need to place the patties on a baking sheet (single-layered). Start baking and after 12-14 minutes, the patties should be fully cooked.
Use oven mitts to carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven. Wait 2 minutes before you serve.
Can I Store A Chuckwagon Sandwich In The Fridge?
Well, yes, you can. But take these tips in your mind.
- Try to use a more substantial bread as it holds up better than a soft burger bun. Because you won’t like it when the bun will fall apart by the time you’re about to eat the sandwich.
- Avoid skimping on the meat slice. You can try different types like oil-packed tuna, roasted pork, prosciutto, etc to get variation in taste.
- If you want to add another layer of texture and flavor to the mouthwatering sandwich, consider picking a pickle or even two. Layer pickled green beans, giardiniera, dill slices, and vegetables like beets. Just layer those ingredients between the meats and enjoy the taste.
- If you want to store the sandwich in the refrigerator, make sure you wrap it with plastic wrap. It helps keep the exterior crusty as long as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s between beef and pork used for a chuckwagon sandwich?
A chuckwagon sandwich is made with either a chicken-fried steak or a beef patty. No pork is used here. Still, the steak tastes heavenly as it’s crispy outside and tender inside.
How long is a chuckwagon sandwich good for?
You can store a chuckwagon sandwich in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. Try to consume it as fresh as possible if you don’t want to ruin the taste.
What ingredients are used in a Deli Express chuckwagon sandwich?
Deli Express uses turkey meld with cheese in a poppyseed Kaiser bun.
So, now you should know everything about the chuckwagon sandwich, its origin, how to make it, and almost all about the delicious sandwich. We hope that you can make a batch of chuckwagon sandwiches at your home. Wish you good luck!