Chicken tempura roll is one of the most popular recipes in Japanese cuisine. But everytime you order it in restaurants, you must pay quite a lot of money. So, what about making it at home?
When you know the right directions to cook the dish perfectly, what else do you need! Read this piece to get the best chicken tempura roll recipe and some additional tips regarding the cooking process. Some of the tempura lover’s also can try Tempura Cheesecake along with this delicious cuisine.
And, our journey starts right here!
Chicken Tempura Roll? What’s That?
Imagine you’re biting a crunchy toriten with the delicious taste of sushi. How does it sound?
This is exactly what a chicken tempura roll is. It’s usually made of chicken mixture with orange strips, red pepper, green onion, and some other ingredients.
If you know the taste of a Red Dragon Roll, Volcano roll, or a Tiger roll, you secretly know how a chicken tempura roll is. The way of making this dish might be a bit tricky as it contains so many steps but trust me, you’ll love the outcome.
Chicken Tempura Roll Recipe
Are you ready to make a chicken tempura roll at your home? Let’s see what ingredients you’ll be needing and what steps you have to follow.
Ingredients for The Tempura
- Cake flour: 2 cups
- Egg: 1
- Chicken breast: 1 pound
- Cornstarch: 1 ½ cup
- Club soda: 1 cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: 2 quarts
Ingredients for The Rolls
- Sushi rice: 2 cups
- Crushed red pepper: A quarter of a teaspoon
- Rice vinegar: ½ cup
- Thinly sliced green onions: 3
- Thawed orange juice concentrate: ⅓ cup
- Sesame oil: A quarter teaspoon
- Soy sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Sugar: ¼ cup
- Bamboo mat: 1
- Wash the rice first and move it to a saucepan once the water is clear. Now, add some water to it and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- After that, cook the rice for around 20 minutes. Once you notice that the rice is tender enough, it’s well-cooked. Cover it for another 10 minutes.
- Take a separate bowl and combine sugar, vinegar, and salt. Stir well and wait for the sugar to dissolve.
- Now, move the rice to another bowl and add ⅓ cup of vinegar mixture to it. Use a spoon to stir the rice so it gets cooled. Use a damp cloth to cover the rice to keep it moist.
- This time, break the egg and whisk it with club soda and salt. And, add the flour to this mixture.
- Dust your chicken with cornstarch. This step aids in crisping them when you fry the slices.
- Grab the pieces of chicken one by one and place them in the batter. Then, swirl each chicken piece to make sure that the batter is attached to the chicken’s surface.
- Cook the tempura chicken pieces for 5 minutes. Now, line a plate with paper towels and move the chicken pieces on it.
- Add red pepper flakes, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, ginger, and oil to the cooked tempura chicken. And, mix all these to coat the tempura chicken perfectly.
- Use plastic wrap to cover your sushi mat. Now, place ¼ cup almonds over the plastic wrap, make sure you place them in an even layer.
- Get back to the rest of the vinegar mixture to moisten your hands. Then, press the rice over the almonds.
- Hold the sushi mat’s ends tightly to create tempura rolls.
- Cut the rolls into 1 ½-inch slices.
And, you’re ready to get the delicacy of chicken tempura rolls!
From one piece of chicken tempura roll, you’ll get:
- Calories: 100
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Cholesterol: 3mg
Is Chicken Tempura Roll Sushi Healthy?
Yes. Since it doesn’t contain any raw meat inside, chicken tempura roll is one of the healthiest options when it comes to sushi rolls.
Sushi rolls that come with raw meat might be a bit problematic for older people and pregnant women. It’s because raw fish open a door to mercury ingestion, food poisoning, and other health issues.
How Should You Store Chicken Tempura Roll Sushi?
Sometimes there are leftovers even if you don’t tend to make a large batch of a dish. However, this will not be a big deal here since chicken tempura rolls are free from raw meat.
Still, you shouldn’t expect the taste to be the same as fresh rolls. Also, the texture may change as well like the rice may be harder if you store them for a long time.
If you want to store the rolls in the fridge, here’s how you can do it:
- Wrap every piece of roll with a plastic wrap.
- Then, take a dry container to store the rolls. Make sure there’s an airtight lid.
- Finally, place the container in your fridge and hope it will be okay for the next 24 hours.
What Can You Serve With a Chicken Tempura Roll?
- Green vegetables
- Seaweed salad
- Brussel sprouts
- Beef stroganoff
- Shrimp tempura
- Edamame beans
- Pho soup
And, a whole lot more options are there. If you want to enjoy the roll with a dessert, here are your options:
- Tempura cheesecake
- Strawberry Boba
- Ice cream
- Chocolate covered bananas
So on. If you love the best sushi recommend by many Japanese cuisine specialist and the foodies, you can check these recipes (i) Tobiko and Tobiko Sushi (ii) Alaska Roll Sushi (iii) Las Vegas Roll Sushi , it will be great choice for great delicious sushi to delight your lunch or dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is a tempura roll good?
If you don’t love raw fish, tempura rolls are a great choice for you. The ingredients are nutritious in most cases. And, since tempura requires less oil to get fried, it’s a healthier option than deep-fried foods.
Can tempura make me sick?
If you deep fry tempura batter, it may be difficult to digest. In this situation, excessive acid can be produced in your stomach which may make you feel sick.
Can I cook tempura chicken from frozen?
Yes, you can.
So, now, you can get the delicious taste of Japanese cuisine without spending too much on it. Make sure you pick the ingredients carefully and follow the directions properly. Try to consume the rolls right away without storing them for long (as you don’t want to ruin the taste).