Brenda Gantt Biscuits has got a massive fanbase after sharing her country’s traditional and famous cooking recipes online. I am so much in love with the magic she uses in her cooking that I thought why not share it with you too?
If you ask whether you can make Brenda Gantt biscuit at home or not. The answer is a big YES.
All you need is to collect the proper ingredients and follow the instructions carefully. It can be a great addition to your afternoon snacks that you can enjoy with your tea or coffee.
So, let’s get started from scratch.
Overview of Brenda Gantt Biscuit
Brenda Gant is a retired school teacher who became an internet sensation by showing her excellent cooking skills. She successfully proved that biscuits in the South are the best.
Southern cooks are famous for using different tricks to make delicious and tender biscuits.
However, most of their tricks are not secret. People already know how Southern cooks count on soft wheat flour when making biscuits because they can access the special soft wheat flour from mid-Atlantic areas.
The famous Brenda Gantt biscuits are made with flour, buttermilk, and other ingredients. You can enjoy these biscuits with tea or coffee as snacks.
Brenda Gantt Biscuits Recipe
This time, we’re going to share how you can make Brenda Gantt biscuits at home.
- White Lily self-rising flour
- Buttermilk (preferably full fat): ¾ cup
- Hard Crisco shortening: ¼ cup
- Salted butter: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: ¼ tablespoon
- A wooden bowl and a medium bowl
- Cast iron skillet
- Set your oven to 525℉ to preheat it. Place a rack at the center.
- Take a cast-iron skillet and add some Crisco shortening to it.
- Take a medium bowl and add white Lily flour to it. Then, add some salt to it and make a hole in the middle.
- Bring the buttermilk and pour it into the well. After that, add some Crisco shortening here.
- Use your hand to mix the buttermilk and Crisco shortening. Slowly add more flour to the mixture to remove all the lumps of Crisco. Make sure all the flour is fully merged.
- After cleaning and drying your hands, rub some flour on your hands. Now, sprinkle some flour throughout the work surface as well.
- Take the dough out of your bowl and press it slowly. Add some flour if you think it’s still too sticky.
- Pat the dough 1” thick and use a biscuit cutter to cut it out. After you’re done with each cut, make sure you flour the cutter and remove the stuck dough from it.
- Get back to your cast iron skillet and keep every piece of dough here.
- Now, it’s time to place the skillet on the rack. As soon as you do it, set the temperature to 500℉.
- Take at least 12 minutes to bake the biscuits. The tops of the biscuits may take a bit more time to turn golden, wait for this result. Also, the sides of your biscuits should look dry.
- Brush the tops of your biscuits with melted butter, and that’s it!
It’s best to serve the biscuits hot.
You can also read: Vegan Christmas Dessert Recipes
Is There a Substitute for White Lily Flour?
Although southern bakers use white Lily flour very quickly, it might be difficult for you in the northeast or other areas. However, you can simply use all-purpose flour for the recipe since Brenda Gantt doesn’t make a big deal about using white Lily flour so specifically.
Still, there’s a substitute for white Lily flour. Mixing ⅓ cake flour with ⅔ all-purpose flour will be a great alternative to white Lily flour.
How Long Does it Take to Make Brenda Gantt Biscuits?
It takes as little as only eight minutes to bake Brenda Gantt biscuits. Additional time is needed for the preparation. If you use the right ingredients and set the heat level in your oven, you shouldn’t wait forever to get the biscuits ready for your breakfast.
Is There a Cookbook By Brenda Gantt?
Yes, there is. You’ll find the available print, which costs 34.95 dollars. Sorry, I forgot to mention the name. The famous cookbook by Brenda Gantt is ‘It’s gonna be good y’all”. It has 100+ family recipes with step-by-step guidelines.
The other cookbooks containing 100+ recipes by this talented woman are:
- Squash Alabama
- Orange slice cake
- Big mama macaroni and Cheese
How to Store Brenda Gantt Biscuit?
Do you want to store biscuits at room temperature?
If it’s a yes, there’s a limitation. Biscuits last at room temperature for only one or two days. After that, they’ll dry out. So, this is not the option if you want a long-term storage solution.
If you want to store them in the refrigerator, Brenda Gantt biscuits will be fresh for as long as a week. To store this way, cover every piece of biscuit using a plastic wrap before you put them in the fridge.
Another way left you can store biscuits in the freezer. And, guess what? This is the most effective method to store them for a long time. When you can properly store them, biscuits can last for 3 months in the freezer.
However, for this process, you need to wrap the biscuits with a plastic freezer wrap or freezer bag. Make sure you remove excess air from the wraps before you place them in the freezer.
Remember, do not thaw frozen biscuits at room temperature as it may cause moisture under the plastic. Eventually, the biscuits can turn into a mushy mess.
Here are some tips to keep biscuits fresh throughout the storing period:
- Before you place the biscuits in a plastic container, make sure you cool them completely. It keeps your biscuits moist without making them soggy.
- Do not thaw frozen biscuits on the kitchen counter. Instead, thaw them in the refrigerator.
- Don’t leave your biscuits at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
How can you know that your biscuits have gone bad?
The first thing you can do is to give them a sniff. If the biscuits are fresh and safe, they won’t smell bad. Another sign can be the appearance of mold on your biscuits. Or, any kind of discoloration will also try to tell you that you should let them go.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Temperature Does Brenda Gantt Use to Cook Her Biscuits?
Brenda Gantt uses 500℉ to cook her delicious, mouthwatering biscuits. She wants her biscuits to turn brown. However, the oven is preheated in the first place and she likes to grease the pan before getting started.
How Can I Make The Biscuit Moister?
To get moister biscuits, you can add sugar with 1-2 tbsp of milk while creaming the buttermilk. If you prefer a softer biscuit, you can reduce the baking time (1-2 minutes less). On the contrary, to get a crunchie biscuit, you have to increase the baking time (1-2 minutes more).
How Did Brenda Gantt Get Started?
It’s said that she was urged by her family to share her recipe online. Her family members helped her to set up a video and share her country’s famous cooking recipes.